Will we pray?
One of my favourite authors is Oswald Chambers, he is a favourite because his writing always challenge my thinking and grow my faith. He profoundly brings me to fully trusting Jesus. The following thoughts are from “If Ye Shall Ask” by Oswald Chambers.
“The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” James 5:16
- Pray that He might work His mighty works through us. The key to all our work for God is in that one word we are apt to despise – “Pray”
- Prayer is simple to us because it cost Jesus so much to make it possible for us to pray.
- Prayer is supernatural. And to anyone not related to our Lord Jesus Christ, prayer is apt to look stupid.
‘Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. Matthew 26:41
- All our circumstances are in the hand of God.
- He is bringing us into places and among people and under conditions in order that the intercession of the Holy Spirit in us may take a particular line.
Our Lord bases everything on prayer.
- We bring particular people and circumstances before God’s throne, and the Holy Spirit in us then has a chance to intercede for them. That is how God is going to sweep the whole world by his saints.
- When we pray for others the Spirit of God works in the unconscious domain of their being that we know nothing about, and the one we are praying for knows nothing about, but after the passing of time the conscious life of the one prayed for begins to show signs of unrest and disquiet. We may have spoken until we are worn out, and have given up in despair, but if we have been praying, we find on meeting them one day that there is the beginning of a softening in an enquiry and a desire to know something about Jesus.
- It is that kind of prayer that does the most to damage Satan’s kingdom. It is so slight, so feeble in its initial stages that if reason is not wedded to light of the Holy Spirit, we will never obey it, and yet it is the kind of intercession that the New Testament places the most emphasis on, though it has little to show for it.
- It seems stupid to think that we can pray and all that will happen, but remember to whom we pray, we pray to God who understands the unconscious depths of personality about which we know nothing.
“If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” Matthew 21:22